Gaining Ground for God in the Dominican Republic
God has called us to join with Ambassadors for Christ (AFC), members of Grant Memorial Church in Winnipeg and All People’s Church in Falcon Lake, to build a playground for the children at Refugee of Hope School in Vieja Liberacion (Dominican Republic).
Several years ago, the Dominican government confiscated the land from the people of Vieja Liberacion to use for tourism. The community was forced inland to live in a concrete ghetto, far away from the land and sea that provided their livelihood. With limited access to education, and no way to feed their families, man people turned to the two available trades – selling drugs and prostitution.
The children of Vieja Liberacion have very little hope of changing that picture without the life-giving option of The Refuge of Hope Schools – founded by Ambasadors for Christ (AFC). They follow the principle of “letting God’s children grow” – mentally, physically, spiritually and in safety.
Five years ago, Pastor Christian (Senior Pastor and overseer) began a school ministry with the support of AFC. Parents who were attending his small church became concerned their children still could not read and write in Grade 6 and 7. Almost 85% of the children in the church had failing grades. The dangerous state-run schools were not a viable education option, with knives and violence an everyday occurrence. Without reading and math skills, the children had no hope of finding work, thus continuing the cycle of poverty in the area.
Pastor Christian looked to AFC for help and began an after school program. In just one year, 95% of the children attending were passing their grades. AFC, with its partners in Canada, continues to raise money for teachers’ salaries and brings a group of Canadian educators to the country to help develop school curriculum and buy school resources.
The outreach has even gone further! Drug dealers who have come to know the Lord have asked for Adult Education as a way to learn employable skills they will need now that they have left the drug trade.
DO YOU WANT TO CHANGE A LIFE?
The Refuge of Hope Schools are making a difference! They have been able to offer education in very difficult circumstances. For several years they have been praying for a SAFE playground. This prayer was partly answered when a gracious Canadian donor purchased a small plot of land next to the school. Now the children do not have to play on the busy street. However, the Dominican government has recently announced that unless a playground is built on this plot of land, it will close the school. A number of members from Celebration Church in Regina have formed a steering committee to work with AFC and teams from Manitoba to jointly build a playground for the school.
WILL YOU WORK WITH US?
By giving these children a safe education, allowing them to grow spiritually, mentally and physically, they will GROW into LEADERS who can influence others! Someday, either here or in heaven, one of them may touch your arm and say “I am here today because of the gift you gave.”
Here are some ways you can change the life of the children of Vieja Liberacion:
1. Pray for the project:
- Pray for our team to become one in spirit – filled with joy!
- Pray for successful fundraisers.
- Pray for safety of the equipment as it travels to a site where theft is a problem.
- Pray to see if God is calling you to be part of this project.
2. Join us and travel to the Dominican to build the playground:
- A team will go to Vieja Liberacion from February 16-25, 2015 to help construct the playground and provide other support.
3. Join our steering committee. Help organize our major fundraisers:
imPOSSIBLE – Adventure, Intrigue and God’s Great Love on the Mission Field” Saturday, September 13, 2014
- The Tile fundraiser.
4. Buy a title to a 1×1 foot plot of land on which the playground will sit. A $20 donation will provide you with:
- a symbolic title to that part of the land.
- a tile to decorate and send a message of hope. This tile will be glued to the protective wall around the playground as a permanent message, touching the lives of the Vieja Liberacion children. (Contact any team member to purchase a tile or the Celebration Church office at 306-789-2727.)
5. Make a financial donation to the project.
- Please make cheques payable to Ambassadors for Christ and in the memo area write “Playground for Dominican.” Cheques may be dropped off at Celebration Church, 3130 Renfrew Crescent E, Regina, SK. S4V 2X6
For more information, contact any GG4G committee member:
- Gwendolyn Friedrich 306-216-9665
- Barry and Cheryl Krett 306-537-7257
- Cam Liske 306-789-2727
- Bev and George Maxim 306-520-3526